Leap into Spring with Market 707’s Farmers’ Market!!! Apples, peaches, peares and plums, visit us every Thursday for food and fun. Get the best in local produce, vegetables, meats, grains, cheese and more!!!
For more information, go to http://scaddingcourt.org/farmers_market/
Joe’s Team is a triathlon/duathlon founded by patient Joe Finley in support of cancer research at the Princess Margaret Cancer Centre. It’s the perfect beginner’s triathlon for four reasons:
1) People with all levels of fitness and abilities participate.
2) It involves a “calm” start, meaning that participants are divided and released in waves rather than all at once.
3) It’s located at the beautiful CNIB Lake Joseph Centre in Muskoka, Ontario.
4) Everyone is there to support a great cause and have fun.
Joe’s Team has raised nearly $9 million over seven years. With participant and donor support, it expects to reach its goal of raising $10 million with the 2014 event on Saturday, July 5, 2014.
Simply put, it’s a very special year for Joe’s Team.
Once these funds have been raised, The Princess Margaret will be able to establish the Joe Finley Head and Neck Translational Research Centre. The research centre will be the lasting legacy to Finley who passed away in 2010 from his cancer.
Why sign up for a triathlon?
Many people find that signing up and training for a challenging event like a triathlon actually helps them stay focused on their fitness routines.
World triathlete and seasoned runner Paul Huyer was interviewed for UHN News and found that training for a triathlon actually improved his running.
“I replaced some of my running volume with cycling, pilates, and weight training,” said Huyer. “What those sports do, particularly pilates and weight training, is isolate muscles specific to your running that take a hard workout when you run—like your glutes, hamstrings, quads and calves. Working different muscle groups strengthens them, and also allowed my running muscles and tendons to rest between workouts because I wasn’t using them repeatedly.”
“So as a result, I was having better quality runs with that and improving my performance,” said Huyer.
Training with UHN’s Wellness Program
UHN’s Wellness Programs offers many programs that complement the training needs of any aspiring triathlete.
Class options include:
- Spinning: Sculpt & Spin, Spin – Endurance, Spin, Bands & Bikes
- Yoga: Beginner Yoga, Intermediate Yoga, Yoga
- Boot camp
Pair up with a UHN friend or start a training group for an event like Joe’s Team. Alternatively, feel free to come alone and to meet other individuals with similar fitness goals.
Accomplishing something challenging and meaningful like Joe’s Team is both mentally and physically rewarding. UHN’s Wellness Program is here to help you design your training program.
Joe’s Team 2014 will be held on Saturday, July 5, 2014.
Questions about UHN training programs? Feel free to contact Paul Smits – Wellness Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org), for any Wellness related questions.
Is there a better time of year than the Spring (now that it has finally arrived) to renew your commitment to healthy living!? What better way to do just that, than to join the 2014 Inter-Hospital Health Challenge!? Open to all UHN staff, physicians, volunteers and students, the IHHC is an online challenge that takes place from May 1st-31st, where participants collect points and compete against other UHN teams and hospitals from across the province. Earn points for minutes of physical activity, servings of fruits and vegetables, minutes of mental health breaks, hours of sleep, and servings of water. Register now!
How do I register for the Challenge?
• Form a team of 4-7 people.
• Assign a Team Captain. Team Captains will visit www.ihhc2014.com to register your Team Name and determine your Team Password.
• Team Captains: Email your team members both the Team Name and Team Password.
• Captains & Members: register for the challenge at www.ihhc2014.com (You’ll need your Team Name and Team Password)
• Once a minimum of 4 people have enrolled your team will be activated.
There will be weekly draw prizes plus prizes for UHN’s top 3 winning teams. The winning hospital is also awarded the coveted gold cup. Let’s bring that trophy home!
All UHN staff are invited to the 2014 Challenge Launch on Thursday, May 1 at 12:00pm in front of Sick Kids Hospital on University Ave. There will be Music! Stretching! Games! And Prizes! Represent UHN by wearing Yellow.
As part of the Get Up step Up campaign, the Oasis Wellness Centre is pleased to bring back the March walking challenge. March into Better Health, a one-month walking challenge began last year and had over 100 participants in its inaugural year. The challenge is FREE for UHN employees to register and consists of using a pedometer or pedometer app to track your daily steps. Participants can then submit their weekly totals for a chance to win prizes from a weekly draw. As well a grand prize will be awarded to the participant with the greatest number of steps at the end of the month of March.
There are several ways you can begin to count your steps:
- You can download a pedometer app to your smart phone (Such as Accupedo for Androids or Pacer for iPhones)
- You can borrow a pedometer from the libraryhttp://www.toronto.ca/health/walkintohealth/pedometerlending.htm
- You can use one you own or purchase a new one
*The Oasis Wellness Centre will have a limited supply of pedometers for those unable to download, borrow or purchase one.
- Email UHNWalkingChallenge@gmail.com with the following information: Name, site, your method for pedometer use (App, library, your own, Wellness Centre) and your goal .
- Send weekly updates to UHNWalkingChallenge@gmail.com with your weekly step count totals! (Send each Friday with results from the previous Friday – Thursday)
For more information or to register email UHNWalkingChallenge@gmail.com
Are you ready to March into Wellness?